18XE memory leak in CJQ0

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:50:34 -0600

Hey all,

I had noticed that RAM usage was slowly increasing on the OL7.4 server running 18 XE (and a host of other things) and tracked it down to the CJQ0 process. Recording PGA usage hourly as shown in V$PROCESS for the past 40+ days, the PGA_ALLOC_MEM of the CJQ0 process increased by 4.2MB/day on average with little deviation. That sure smells like a memory leak to me. The XE instance has the sole user PDB, with only the default jobs in the CDB and APEX and 1 other job scheduled in the PDB. JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES was the default of 4000 (seems a _tad_ high for a default).

I reduced the JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES to 4 and killed the "xe_cjq0_XE" process from the OS to give it a fresh start. Related MOS articles had mentioned the killing as a workaround, which seems like it would be one permanent solution for an XE installation.

Anyone run into this in EE, either 18 or 19? I'm looking to move to 19 soon with an instance that will have more scheduled jobs and a much larger SGA that may mask this issue.

Thanks,
Rich