'after servererror on database' Trigger Successful for Local Sessions, Fails for Remote Over DBLINK

From: Fred Habash <fmhabash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 13:31:41 -0500

Hi all ...
In my attempt to capture 'ora-00054: resource busy error' on an 11.2.0.4 rdbms, I resorted to using a system trigger 'after servererror on database' to capture the affected queries.

If the waiter & the blocker are local to the database, the trigger captures the event successfully. If the blocker is local and the waiter is remote (select ... from my_table_at_db_link for update), the trigger does not capture it.

The trigger is created on the dblink target and the ora-00054 is returned to the client while connected to the database where the dblink is.

Raising a system event for error 54 works and captures the error for both local & remote. The trigger does not.

The trigger documentation does not list remote connections as a restriction.

Is this by by design, a bug, or a user misunderstanding?

Thank you