RE: Extended Data types

From: <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 09:45:51 -0700

Most of my 12.2 patching has went along easily.

Patch conflicts with one offs especially if you have SDO has been the largest extra work, but not really a big thing.

My only major problem was an Exadata system I took over from another team and it appeared the previous team had unzipped the grid patch as root instead of grid and applied it.

From then on, opatchauto would fail and none of the Oracle fix scripts would properly repair the environment. I ended up having to run quarterly patches for grid and oracle with opatch as grid and oracle for the sub-patches underneath the quarterly patch.

At some point I will try and fix the owner:perms on the files underneath the homes matching a cleanly working system. Something for another day.

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 8:35 AM
To: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Cc: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>; Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Extended Data types

Oh ok. I am on 12.2. Patching 12.2 has been a pain in the butt, always getting errors and patch conflicts

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com <mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com> > wrote:

Just that 12.1 is one of the buggiest releases I can recall

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 10:10 <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net <mailto:dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> > wrote:

He was probably inferring to that there were a lot of bugs that are 12.1 only bugs relative to extended Datatypes.

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com <mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com> > Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:14 AM To: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com <mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com> > Cc: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net <mailto:dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> >; oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> > Subject: Re: Extended Data types

Hey Jared I am not sure what that is in reference to?

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 4:57 PM Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com <mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com> > wrote:

ahem.. 12.1 ... nuf said

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 08:16 <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net <mailto:dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> > wrote:

I have changed many client databases on request to use extended datatypes and experienced no problems at all.

However if you search in oracle support you will find lots of varying errors, most related to 12.1 only but some more generic.

Here are few:

XDB Invalid after Utlrp during Activation of Extended Datatypes (Doc ID 1667689.1)

Database Won't Start After Varchar2(32k) Upgrade (Doc ID 1610329.1)

ORA-00600 [koklismem2: Insufficient Locator Len] on Update of Extended Data types. (Doc ID 2474129.1)

ORA-01467 In Oracle 12c when max_string_size is Extended Data Types used (Doc ID 2022269.1)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> > On Behalf Of Jeff Chirco Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:05 AM
To: oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> > Subject: Extended Data types

Hi all,

Has anyone enabled extended data types in 12c to get varchar2(32767) support for the tables? We are looking to do this but wondering if anyone has experienced any issues with it cause I know there is no going back once you do.

Thanks,

Jeff

--

Jared Still