Re: Learn Cloud or Do Oracle OCM ..confused

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:25:20 +0000

Throwing my cynical hat into the ring...

  1. I don't really see the point in becoming an OCM. I have a lot of respect for people who take the time to learn that stuff by heart, so they can do the exams without all their cheat sheets, but I've spent nearly 20 years writing cheat sheets on my website, so I don't have to waste time trying to remember syntax etc. I'm pretty good with the Oracle manuals, but not without the search. Although that you are asked to do in the OCM exam sounds pretty reasonable, I just don't see the point in making people do it without the resources they would normally have when doing the job. I would never rely on my memory when I have a recipe written down, or some scripts that will do it for me. Like I said, I respect people who have gone through it, but I think there are better things to do with your time.
  2. I don't see how a focus on nuts & bolts makes sense in today's world. Sure, existing people will have work for a while, but I would never advise new people to become DBAs, and I would advise existing DBAs to widen their knowledge outside of their current boundaries. I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for saying it, but the conventional DBA (as it was when I started) is dead and gone. The world has moved on and a bunch of (mostly) old (mostly) men big up the importance of the role, when many databases would work just fine on a platform (RDS, Autonomous DB etc.).
  3. My vote would be to focus on cloud architecture and platforms that are out there. You could start off with data-related stuff as they is where you come from, but I would also consider spreading the net wider than that if I were you.

Cheers

Tim...