RE: Integer value for file size

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 21:20:59 -0400

sigh. they can and do make rounding to nearest integer storage unit size in other contexts. the math is not tricky.

but they have the trump card in games of competitive laziness, so I do not recommend holding your breath.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:58 PM To: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Integer value for file size

Probably not, since database files are tracked by blocks in the data file and your decimal number may not resolve to a byte size that ends on a block boundary based on your block size.

Fundamental table file$ tracks blocks not bytes and the views over the top have the multiplication in them blocksize * blocks to derive bytes.

1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824

1,073,741,824 * .9=966,367,641.6 < decimal byte…..

Even if rounded

Down: 966,367,641 odd number won’t be evenly divisible by 2 to the power block sizes.

Up: 966,367,642 is also not divisible evenly by Oracle block sizes.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 12:31 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Integer value for file size

I tried the following:

QL> alter tablespace dovetail add datafile '+DATA' size 31.9G;

Error starting at line : 1 in command -
alter tablespace dovetail add datafile '+DATA' size 31.9G Error report -
ORA-02017: integer value required
02017. 00000 - "integer value required"
*Cause:
*Action:

I know that I can do 32767M instead of 31.9G but it's too many characters to type. Is there a possibility that Oracle Corp. will cater to my laziness and allow me to type 31.9G?

Regards

--

Kindest regards,
Mladen Gogala