Re: oracle costs

From: Franck Pachot <franck_at_pachot.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 08:07:10 +0200

Jack,
Few ideas here.
So, for the moment you have one contract with 48 EE processors or that is on multiple contracts because you bought them at a different time? That's important because you may be able to stop one contract and keep another. But if it is all in the same contract, then you have to re-buy the needed licenses if you want to reduce. And have a smaller discount then. The second point if you have to re-buy is whether you need EE or can go to SE where you count the sockets and you have one socket per server, right? That can be a huge cost saving. Of course you will not have the same protection as Data Guard. But there are solutions like Dbvisit standby which are ok if business is ok for a RPO of 10-15 minutes in case of failover.
Oracle VM is a good solution to limit the licenses on servers with too many cores. For sure it is something new to learn and setup, but you should not see it as "another VM stack" if you use it only for CPU pinning. You will not do HA, vMotion... with it
If you accept to stop test and dev in case of failover, then you may run on 2 servers only: PROD on one site and DR+DEV+TEST on the other. Franck.