Re: oracle costs

From: jh3dt68_at_yahoo.com <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 23:53:11 +0000 (UTC)

 Thanks Seth, I know its messy but when I raised the idea of using a licensing advisor it was shot down because that could be even more money with no guarantee of savings. I'm just trying to get some input/validation from the group before we leap off the bridge, so to speak.

    On Monday, September 30, 2019, 7:39:23 PM EDT, Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com> wrote:

 Jack,
This is messy territory and the house has the advantage. My advice is, don't try to do this on your own. If you are not working through a partner that specializes in Oracle licensing, start there.  Seth
On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 6:19 PM jh3dt68_at_yahoo.com <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> wrote:

Hello all,
Where I work we have Oracle EE running on 4 physical Dell servers, all running Oracle 12.2 and RHEL 7. The environments are PROD, DR, TEST and DEV. At present all of the servers have 4 sockets with 12 cores per socket, for a total of 96 CPU cores of Oracle EE . Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, management is asking us to reduce our annual Oracle maintenance costs, either that or we have to lay off a couple of developers, there are 15 people total in our shop. Our first thought was to combine DEV and TEST as both of those environments are not fully utilized. That would reduce our core count by 1/4. But digging into the contracts and the world of Oracle licensing  (ugh), it looks like Oracle could re-calculate the maintenance costs based on the current list price of annual support, not on the discount price we received when buying Oracle 4 years ago. That means we wouldn't pay more but maintenance costs might not be any less. The other idea we had, was to convert the CPU licenses to Named User Plus licenses for DEV/TEST. There are only 15 people who ever use the DEV/TEST environments and we would leave PROD/DR alone for now. I understand there are processor minimums which must be accounted for, but if we combine the DEV/TEST and switched to NUPs I'm hoping it would result in some cost reduction, even if Oracle tries to claw back some of the savings.

Any insights or suggestions are greatly appreciated,
- Jack H.