Re: Problem during manual RAC instance startup OR how to force evict a node from RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 15:33:17 -0400

On 9/25/19 2:59 PM, Luis Claudio Dias dos Santos wrote:
> *
> *
> My question: is there a way to perform some kind of manual node eviction?

You are confusing two things:

  • Node eviction, which is performed by CRS to prevent split brain condition
  • Shutdown, which is performed by a DBA, for whatever reason.

> Next time in such situations we would manually evict the node, and
> just enable it after a fully flawless instance startup.*
> *

You can start instance standalone, using srvctl start instance -d db -i inst -o nomount.  You can not mount it. As soon as you mount the instance, you are accessing the shared resources, namely the control file and the cluster registry. When opening the database, you will also use shared resources: ASM disk group(s), redo logs and data files. Accessing shared resources requires coordination done by CRS.

I would use adrci to figure out what is the problem with the evicted instance. It may be hardware or it may be software. The problem is in the evicted node.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant