Problem during manual RAC instance startup OR how to force evict a node from RAC

From: Luis Claudio Dias dos Santos <lsantos_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 15:59:21 -0300

Few days ago our DBA team has performed a instance shutdown in one of our Oracle RAC RDBMS. The Grid software is 12.1.0.2, and RDBMS is 11.2.0.4. This is 8 (eight) nodes RAC. The instance 4 was shutdown. I wasn't involved in this task.

Today another DBA decided to startup the instance again. Using the usual *srvctl
start instance -d DBNAME -i INST_NAME*

What happened? All the following connection, through the scan, were directed to the instance 4. During the startup phase! So all connections got *ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress*

My question: is there a way to perform some kind of manual node eviction? Next time in such situations we would manually evict the node, and just enable it after a fully flawless instance startup.

A srvctl disable instance doesn't perform this task (AFAIK), but just don't start the specified instance in a database startup.

--

Best regards
Luis Santos

--