Re: Orphan database connections

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 15:01:24 -0400

As a test, I installed Quest Toad (trial) and performed test. Upon closing the Window the database connections were terminated. Could be that Toad captured the close Window command and cleaned up after itself before terminating.

A packet trace shows Toad sending a "FIN" to the database while Oracle's programs send a "RST" as the final transmission.
>>> Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> 9/4/19 12:18 PM >>>

Tcp_timedwaitdelay indefinite perhaps?

Something in the TCP stack keeping the socket open on the clients PC

Chris

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019, 10:57 AM Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org> wrote:

We are in the very early stages of a desktop migration to Windows 10. To date, only 3 IT personnel that use Oracle have a Windows 10 PC. Of those, two are experiencing a problem. If you are in SQL Plus or SQL Developer and do not exit/close the connection prior to closing the application's window, the database connection remains after the program is terminated. This does not occur on any of our Windows 7 desktops. We have not been able to identify a difference between the PC that does terminate the database connection upon the window being closed and the two that do not. All of our PCs start from a standard image.

Oracle is suggesting looking at the network, however, all of the PCs are inside the firewall and if in SQL PLus you state "exit" or in SQL Developer you right click the connection and choose disconnect, the connections are terminated. The issue only arises on 2 out 3 PCs if just close the Window without taking any other actions first.

Any suggestions on what may be the cause? Does Windows 10 not send a termination message and thus you now have ensure you break the connection manually?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

This email has been scanned for spam and viruses. Click here ( https://attseg.cloud-protect.net/index01.php?mod_id=11&mod_option=logitem&mail_id=1567613908-JTJaO40Mavju&r_address=jbeckstrom%40gcrta.org&report=1) to report this email as spam.