Re: Missing SPFILE

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 07:18:13 -0600

Any new users on that server, or new people in the IT server group or security folks?

I've run into a situation several times in the past where it turned out that new people looking over the server saw strange files and simply deleted them because they didn't know what they were and deleted them, erroneously thinking they must have viruses or something. I guess it must have something to do with wherever they got their college degrees because the folks I allow to access the server without college degrees are too scared to play around with files they don't know where they came from. And the security folks have just been ignorant, thinking everything is an attack. Even had a case where some new guy saw a bunch of .dbf files on the system and deleted them, thinking they were old dBase files.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 6:02 AM Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently encountered a crime mystery with Oracle 12.1.0.2 on
> Windows Server 2012. Windows updates were installed but, at the end of
> installation, SPFILE was gone. Data Guard broker complained that "the
> primary database is not using spfile". The spfile was re-created and no
> harm done, but what can be causing SPFILE to be deleted? The database is
> being backed up, I am even looking at rman. I would be grateful for any
> suggestions.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Database Consultant