Re: Standby First upgrades

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 19:26:02 +0000

Andrew is correct - you can do this using a "transient" logical standby, subject to the usual logical standby restrictions (certain datatypes aren't allowed, etc)

The method and relevant MOS links is documented by the Oracle Upgrade PM here, so I won't repeat it on the list: https://mikedietrichde.com/2018/05/09/transient-logical-standby-rolling-upgrades-overview/

regards

Neil Chandler
Database Guy. Knows Things.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Sent: 20 August 2019 18:04
To: tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> Cc: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>; howard.latham_at_gmail.com <howard.latham_at_gmail.com>; ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Standby First upgrades

Not quite. A resetlogs is only done on failover or when opening a snapshot standby.

There are some new upgrade options wrt Dataguard in oracle 12.2 and above that do allow an upgrade of the standby first. However, with. 11.2.0.4, a standby first upgrade can only be done if using a logical standby. You might be able to covert it to a logical standby and upgrade from there...

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 20, 2019, at 11:50, Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com<mailto:tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Not true. To upgrade, database has to be opened, and to open a standby, you have to RESETLOGS.

Snapshot standby uses Flashback database to restore prior to the RESETLOGS so that managed recovery can resume uninterrupted.

On 8/20/19 9:43 AM, gogala.mladen wrote: Yes it is possible because upgrade doesn't do resetlogs.

  • Original message -------- From: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com><mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com> Date: 8/20/19 9:49 AM (GMT-05:00) To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org><mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Standby First upgrades

Oracle 11.2.0.4 and 18.3
DATAGUARD
RHEL 6 I have been told I can, but looking at ORACLE Doc it says NO! Is it possible to do a standby first upgrade from 11.2.0.4 to 18 in a dataguard setup?
My gut feeling BTW is no.

Best Wishes

Howard A. Latham

--