Re: Standby First upgrades

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 13:26:01 -0400

Andrew, database software can be upgraded but the standby can not be opened until the primary is opened. When you upgrade 11g standby to 18c you end up with Oracle 18c software having an 11G database mounted. Oracle 18c can apply logs to a mounted 11G database but nothing else.  When the primary is upgraded, it's not opened by RESETLOGS, so the standby is usable. Database upgrade happens in the UPGRADE mode which is basically database open without system triggers firing. Upgrade process will upgrade the data dictionary using SQL and all block changes will be logged and sent to the standby. When standby applies them the standby database will be upgraded. You need to make sure that the "compatible" parameter is updated, too.