RE: IOUG and Quest Oracle Community - Merger

From: Tyfanie Wineriter <tyfaniew_at_uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:07:24 +0000

Out of curiosity, now that Quest swallowed IOUG, and Collaborate is significantly less DBA-Focused (I agree with Jeff, it was already becoming less and less for DBAs), what conferences are DBAs going to instead? Is there a good DBA-Focused conference, besides OpenWorld?

I wanted to do a “MySQL For the Oracle RAC DBA” presentation, since that’s what I was looking for at the last Collaborate. :D

~ Tyfanie Wineriter ~

Database Administrator
University of Oregon
1212 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97402-1212
(541) 346-1366

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Jeff Chirco Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 5:06 PM
To: Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com> Cc: oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: IOUG and Quest Oracle Community - Merger

To be honest was not a fan but also doesn't matter too much as this was the first year I decided to not renew my membership. I wasn't finding any value in the membership, the webinars seemed to be less and less, I stopped reading the Select Journal when it moved to an electronic format (just personal preference), and the website had a lack of community involvement. I've attended Collaborate 3 times, and as a DBA in a company that does not have any Oracle "Apps" nor have any plans to use Oracle Cloud the conference was providing less of a value. It seemed the DBA related sessions were less and less and mostly focused on the Cloud. Which I get as that is Oracle's push, but just not for our company until maybe one day we are forced. Also I always felt overwhelmed by the disproportion amount of "apps" people from Quest and OAUG versus the DBA's from IOUG. Was harder to find good conversations. I was kind of hoping IOUG would go the other way and own its own from the conference perspective. If I attend another conference it will probably be RMOUG or ODTUG as those just seem to make more sense for what we focus on. But I've meet some great people through IOUG and it could actually be better under Quest. Just my two cents. I'll continue to keep and eye on it as it goes.

Jeff

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:57 AM Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com<mailto:alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com>> wrote: In case you haven't heard, the IOUG is now part of the Quest Oracle Community.

https://questoraclecommunity.org/better-together

Alfredo