Re: sqlcl and sqlplus (Jeff Smith)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:37:14 -0400

Yes, I have the same experience with Jeff. I brought to his attention a bug with tnsping and it was fixed in the next release.  I would suggest to have SQL init file for SQLcl  named something like $HOME/.sqlcl.sql or set up by an environment variable.

Also, it would be about time to switch from "afiedt.buf" ("AFI" comes from "A Friendly Interface", a predecessor of SQL*Plus) to ufiedt.buf. UFI or "User Friendly Interface" came after AFI. SQLcl would be the right time to catch up with the times:

http://www.liberidu.com/blog/2011/12/30/oracle-4-and-the-user-friendly-interface-ufi/

This is humour for those among us who can remember attempting to set oraterm to work with 4800 bps modems, probably Jonathan, Mark, Jared and few others.

On 6/21/19 5:24 PM, Jared Still wrote:
> I have found Jeff to be very responsive to such issues.
>
> Would you like '_at_somescript.sql' to work while embedded in SQL?
>
> I have used that many times, and still do occasionally.
>
> Once brought to Jeff's attention, it wasn't long before sqlcl could do
> that as well.
>

> Jared Still
> Principal Consultant at Pythian
> Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/
> Github: https://github.com/jkstill
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM Mladen Gogala
> <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com <mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I am using a brand new Oracle 19c test VM and unfortunately, I am not
> the only one. Since both SQLcl and sqlplus come with the
> installation, I
> opted for sql and have put "set sqlformat ansiconsole" among other
> things in $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/glogin.sql because both sql and
> sqlplus are reading that file. However, my colleagues are getting an
> error when they attempt usng sqlplus, so I have removed the offending
> directive from glogin.sql. Since those tools are diverging more and
> more, would it be possible to separate the initialization SQL
> files for
> both tools?
>
> This question is primarily for Jeff Smith, the product manager.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Database Consultant