Re: Saving MS Office Documents into an Oracle Database?

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:32:18 +0100

Oracle iFS got replaced. :)

If you really want to put things into a DB, it's really easy. Of course there are Web Services, but you can actually do it directly using DBFS and WebDav.

DBFS in 11g started this path.
https://oracle-base.com/articles/11g/dbfs-11gr2

WebDav support in DBFS improved and became easy in 12.1 https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/dbfs-enhancements-12cr1#webdav

Although DBFS is still a thing, there is also now OFS, which is like an evolution of DBFS.
https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/ofs-and-dbfs-enhancements-12cr2

I know others have given words or warning. I would just like to add another. When you put stuff in the DB it becomes part of your backups. At first that sounds like a great idea, as the contents of the DB and the "filesystem" stay consistent to a point in time. That does come with a price though. One of our projects stores student applications in the DB. In the event of a PITR of the database we potentially lose application forms. That's a problem. On reflection, they would have preferred to store them on a file store and keep the DB separate. That way, in the event of a DB PITR the latest application forms can be picked up from the filestore and someone can manually "reapply" for them... It's quite a specific problem, but worth keeping in mind if a PITR and associated loss of documents represents an issue for you.

A couple of years ago Thomas Kurian said something to the tune of, "Why would you store documents in a database?", in an ACED briefing. I mentioned this to the DBFS/OFS folks and they were no best pleased. :)

Cheers

Tim...