Re: New instance(s) setup question

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 13:02:06 -0600

Noveljic -

First, being in the government, we have a "bean counter" that really doesn't understand Oracle and Oracle sales-people, doing the licensing agreements. Somehow my Center got dinged for 56 cores when we only had 16 at that time. We currently have an Unlimited License Agreement for Oracle EE, and three other components (like Advanced security).

But when I migrate things to Amazon, I'm going to go with the SE2 option. That alone and using their license, combined with the minimal IO, should keep our costs around $1,000/month. The Amazon configuration I've been looking at would be the db.m1.medium, for 70 hours of uptime (availability) per week. Since we are for internal use only, and US Government, we don't need to be accessible during non-duty hours. That helps on the cost quite a bit also. If I don't retire next year, that Amazon configuration would limit my ability to do system work over the weekends, but oh well.