RE: [EXT] Re: Goldengate: How to load multiple files for initial load?

From: Livingston, Daniel <DLivingston_at_west.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 20:48:45 +0000

Plans are in progress to move to SS 2017 – we are supposed to be done by Jul 1 this year - give or take ... mostly "give" (SSIS package migrations...) ☺

The problem turned out to be sort of like what was mentioned in earlier posts (yesterday): "...Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD"

A big thanks to Suresh for the assist.

When I was creating the remote trail file I had been looking all over for examples, and nearly all of them had the trail file specified as something like "./dirdat/initld". Even though I knew that you can only have 2 characters in "usual" trail files, I figure that since so many examples showed > 2 characters, then it must be OK for initial loads. Doing so, GG then appended the sequence number to the file and generate a series of files named like:

./dirdat/initld000000
./dirdat/initld000001
./dirdat/initld000002

However, when I started replicat, with this in the param file:

EXTFILE ./dirdat/initld

It will say "cannot find file". Change it to "./dirdat/initld000000" and it will *only* read that single file – presumably since the prefix contains more than 2 characters.

Changing the trail file name to "./dirdat/ld", and files were generated as before with a sequence number appended, but this time replicat started at sequence "000" and proceeded through all 57 files 1 by 1.

I even renamed the previous files from "initld000000", etc. to "ld000000000" and it worked as expected as well. So all those examples I googled of course worked fine on the tiny little test tables they always have because everything fit into a single trail file

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman [mailto:dbakevlar_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, May 10, 2019 2:31 PM
To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Cc: Livingston, Daniel <DLivingston_at_regmail.west.com>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Goldengate: How to load multiple files for initial load?

Just saw this- I'm doing this kind of work consistently on the Azure side, (not as often to SQL Server and dude- SQL Server 2008 is about to be deprecated, you need to fix that... :) I can't tell you how often BCP has still saved my bacon. How often the old and trusty tools still stand the test of time. create a script, datapump it out to a flatfile and BCP it back into SQL Server. Fast and efficient every time.

I also have examples, let me know if you need help,

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman
DBAKevlar Blog<
http://dbakevlar.com>
President Denver SQL Server User Group<http://denversql.org/> about.me/dbakevlar<http://about.me/dbakevlar>

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Ok. I might be tempted to try a database link at that point, multiple insert into...select * from, if you have a range of values you can use.

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:39 AM Livingston, Daniel <DLivingston_at_west.com<mailto:DLivingston_at_west.com>> wrote: It will load a single file of about 3 mill rows in about a minute or so, but it means I need to run it repeatedly (apparently).

The reason for going the route with GG itself was that this table eventually needs to be replicated ongoing from Oracle -> SQL Server

BCP seems to have the same problem: it expects a single source datafile.

RMTFILE: limit of 2GB per file
EXTFILE: read on a single file
BCP.exe: read only a single file

Almost like these utilities were last updated in 2005 or something ...

From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>] Sent: Friday, May 10, 2019 10:32 AM
To: Livingston, Daniel <DLivingston_at_regmail.west.com<mailto:DLivingston_at_regmail.west.com>> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: [EXT] Re: Goldengate: How to load multiple files for initial load?

For large tables, you cant really use that method and expect it to finish in a reasonable time. You will need to look at BCP, or perhaps even a database link for the initial load.

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:54 AM Livingston, Daniel <DLivingston_at_west.com<mailto:DLivingston_at_west.com>> wrote: I have a table of around 65mill rows that I need to replicate from an Oracle 18 database to SQL Server 2008

Source: Oracle 18.5, Goldengate 18.1
Target: SQL Server 2008R2, Goldengate 12.3 (this system is being migrated later this year to SS 2017 – different story)

I am trying to do this via the FILE to REPLICAT method:

  • Extract to trail files on remote server
  • Start SPECIALRUN replicat to read through the trail files and load the target table

The problem I am running into is that the replicat can only seem to read a *single* trail file at a time. It cannot use wildcards or any other way I have found to specify multiple EXTFILE datafiles

  • file list (partial) ----------------

Directory: C:\GGate\dirdat

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name

---- ------------- ------ ----
-a--- 5/10/2019 8:54 AM 2041669405 initld000000
-a--- 5/10/2019 8:56 AM 2041669563 initld000001
-a--- 5/10/2019 8:59 AM 2041669310 initld000002
-a--- 5/10/2019 9:01 AM 2041669276 initld000003
-a--- 5/10/2019 9:03 AM 1119899237 initld000004
  • replicat param file -------------------------

specialrun
abortonfatalerror
BATCHSQL discardfile ./dirrpt/initld.dsc, purge

targetdb ers_gg, useridalias ggadmin

extfile ./dirdat/initld

sourcecatalog vsopdb
MAP vsop.masterline_repl, TARGET dbo.masterline_repl, colmap(usedefaults);

end runtime

Get the error:

2019-05-10 09:36:14 ERROR OGG-01091 Unable to open file "C:\GGate\dirdat/initld" (error 2, The system cannot find the file specified.).

Is there any way to do this? Or am I supposed to create a powershell loop of some sort to process the full 57 data files one by one? I have tried with a wildcard (error), multiple EXTFILE parameters (only reads the last one) ... ?

--

Andrew W. Kerber

Andrew W. Kerber

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri May 10 2019 - 22:48:45 CEST