Re: Does anyone find PDB/CDB DBs have value?

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 18:16:10 +0100

Hi.

Check out the CONTAINERS clause. You can query across containers with that. If you don't like that, you can use catcon.pl to perform and action in each PDB, including queries.

Full disclosure. I'm a fan. I even like them with Lone-PDB, which is what we use in our company. We don't have the multitenant option, so this is all we can sensibly use. Even then there are some neat things.

We do a lot of cloning to refresh Dev/Test environments. Prior to PDBs, that meant doing RMAN clones (typically active). They are all scripted and work, but it's so much easier to throw in:

CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE devpdb FROM prodpdb_at_prod_link; ALTER PLUGGABLE DATABASE devpdb OPEN;

Since the CDB is already there, with backup schedules in place and registered with Cloud Control, there is no messing about. It cuts down on the scripting and the post-clone cleanup.

Upgrades and patches are a little quicker if you want to just patch the PDB, rather than the CDB and the PDB at once. You can build your new patched CDB, then when everything is sorted and you are happy it's all good, just upgrade/patch the PDB using the unplug/plugin method.

I've written a bunch about it all here, but I'm still learning.

https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/multitenant-overview-container-database-cdb-12cr1#multitenant-articles

I suppose one of the big factors in my mind is, this is that way it is now. You might not like the multitenant architecture, but Non-CDB is deprecated and will be removed in a future release, so you might as well get used to it. We only use non-CDB if forced to my external factors, like vendors not understanding it. :)

Cheers

Tim...