Re: Can anyone recommend a python book ?

From: Gerald Venzl <gerald.venzl_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 07:44:57 -0700

I highly recommend the Python Tutorial <https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html>, it’s really, really well written I find. Certainly helped me a lot when getting started with Python. It takes you nicely from “command line tool” to programming in Python, I found. If you are used to shell scripting, you will pick Python up in no time. I recon you need just one month to be effective, the rest comes over time as with all programming languages, it’s called experience :)

You can download and print the PDF or other formats here: https://docs.python.org/3/download.html <https://docs.python.org/3/download.html> Then you can still read it on the couch.

You may also want to remember the word “pythonic”, which is how people describe doing certain things by leveraging the Python principles, basically some syntax hacks that makes Python really easy.

Last but not least you will sooner or later also (want to) come across The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python! <https://docs.python-guide.org/>, which you can buy as a hard copy as well, if you like.

Hope this helps!

Thx,

Gerald Venzl | Master Product Manager
Email: gerald.venzl_at_oracle.com <mailto:gerald.venzl_at_oracle.com> | Phone: +1.650.633.0085 <tel:+16506330085> Oracle ST & Database Development
400 Oracle Parkway | Redwood Shores | 94065 | USA