Re: Question regarding Oracle listener port change

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 14:51:05 -0400

Linux nmap command will reveal exposed ports below 9999. It can go even higher, but that needs to specified on the command line. Once the hackers find the port 1521, they can try an assortment of bugs to compromise the database. Oracle is regularly publishing them as CVE patches. After having dealt with several federal customers, I noticed that the databases are usually not patched in timely fashion. That means that there quite a bugs that can be used to gain connection privilege and maybe even escalate it to the DBA level. That is usually done by guessing somebody's password.  I am still seeing stickies with something that is obviously a generated password. Other than that, social engineering is still the best way to get into somebody's computer. Computers have evolved rapidly in the last 70 years, but humans have not.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant