Re: System stats

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 14:49:15 +0000

Most modern SAN units have diagnostic/monitoring software available. Sometimes it is an extra-cost option, but whoever manages the SAN should be able to check and potentially use the software to determine the health of the disk farm.

Also on many systems the administrator just identifies they want a chunk, such as 1T, and the SAN unit takes care of where (which disks) are used to allocate the space. So when you say "unit" did you mean an actual disk or the entire SAN (in case where you have more than one)?

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:23:57 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: System stats

Can you recommend any sort of monitoring to identify when a SAN is getting overloaded? In our case it only became apparent when an app started experiencing latency at the same time for 5-10 minutes every day and we tracked it down to a batch job which was running on an entirely different cluster but which shared the same storage unit. Storage denied it was their problem right up until the point we proved it was.

It would have been nice to have known that before the problems started showing up. Getting a new storage unit is a slow process.

Jay Miller

Sr. Oracle DBA

201.369.8355

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Neil Chandler Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 10:35 AM
To: Chris Taylor
Cc: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: System stats

In the majority of places I have worked - 5 clients last year - the SANs were overloaded in 4 of them. They are too frequently sized for capacity and not throughput/response time. The response time was inevitably variable and System Stats would not have been helpful on the systems they have. In one of the clients, some of the critical DB's have dedicated storage but changing the system stats would have had little to no effect on those systems due to other measures having been put in place (including using a low optimizer index cost adj on one system, meaning lots of index use. Just not necessarily the right indexes.)

The optimizer tries to be all things to all people, and there's lots of parameters to try to twist it into the shape that you want. The problem is frequently the abuse of those parameters - especially the global ones - via googling a problem, believing a silver bullet blog, and the lack of time to prove the solution so we just throw the fix into the system. It can be enlightening to strip the more extreme parameters back to their defaults and see how the system copes.

As an aside, did you run your systems with the default parameters, discover notable problems and then use the 2 sets of system stats to correct those problems, or did you put them in from the start and everything was good?

There's a case to be made for using system stats, but I just don't think that is something that should be used frequently.

Neil.

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> Sent: 26 March 2019 12:59
To: Neil Chandler
Cc: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: System stats

As far as the workload, I used 2 workload stats and swapped between them - one for the day where the business hours and the off-business hours had their own personalities (for lack of a better word).

As far as the SAN goes, if enough systems are hitting the SAN enough to cause the IO rate/throughput to become affected, then its *probably* time for a new SAN.

Chris

DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia 22102, USA. DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates. It is intended exclusively for the addressee. The substance of this message, along with any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.