Re: Oracle JAVA licensing

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 08:47:35 +0100

Hi.

Please read:

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?id=1557737.1

Some examples from it are:

  • Customer is using WebLogic Server. Customer is entitled to download and use Java SE updates and patches to run WebLogic Server. This example is applicable for any server-side Oracle product based on Java, which includes most Oracle middleware and applications products.
  • Customer is using Oracle Forms or an Oracle Forms based product, such as Oracle E-Business Suite. Customer is entitled to download and use Java SE updates and patches to run the product on the server. In addition, when the product, like E-Business Suite, uses client-side Java applications (browser-based or standalone), the customer is entitled to download and install Java SE updates and patches on the desktop PCs used to run E-- - Business Suite client applications. Incidental use of the same Java-enabled browser to access non-Oracle Java web-based applications is permitted but not supported.
  • Customer has built a custom client application based on Coherence libraries, which is used to access a licensed Coherence back end. Customer is entitled to download and use Java SE updates and patches to run the Coherent client application.
  • Customer has built a custom client application that uses HTTP to talk to WebLogic Server. The customer is NOT entitled to download and install Java SE updates and patches on the client, since the client application is not using a product-specific protocol.
  • Customer has built a client application that uses JDBC drivers to connect to a licensed instance of an Oracle database. The customer is NOT entitled to download and install Java SE updates and patches on the client, because JDBC drivers do not use a product-specific protocol.

What it boils down to is, if you have a supported Oracle product that requires Java, you get Oracle Java for free. The emphasis seems to be on supported, not licensed. So if you are using SQL Developer, SQLcl or ORDS, even though you don't pay, you are still entitled to the JDK.

People should probably keep checking back to that MOS note over the coming weeks in case the wording happens to change... ;)

Cheers

Tim...