Re: Question To Test My Sanity

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 10:14:07 -0400

We had jump servers at a previous employer. It was a hosting/Cloud company. Each customer had its own VPN and was totally separate. DBs were not exposed directly to the internet. So we would connect through jump servers with 2 factor authentication. The admins had linux set up so we could log in about once every hour or 2 to a linux server and then would not have to enter our passwords again for a while.
This worked out since we had a dump spot that we all used to leave software downloads, scripts, patches, etc... For windows it was annoying. You had to remote PC to a jump box, then remote PC again. We did not have many Oracle DBs running on windows.

This was necessary for us since we had 100s of customers all on their own VPN and silo'd. The only downside was that if we wanted to use SQL Developer ,we would have to set up a tunnel for each DB server, so we rarely used it. I prefer SQL developer when I have to do a select * or something so i dont have to format or some little thing like that. So i was purely command line there. We did not run a lot of queries so it was not that bad.

The issues came when we had an outage and lost jump servers. We had a few backups in different locations, but sometimes when a main one would go down all the others would get really slow.