Aw: Question To Test My Sanity

From: Ingrid Voigt <giantpanda_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 14:42:25 +0200

Hi,

our people have thought about this and started to set up an admin station in 2010.

The project failed because:
- They wanted to install as little as necessary and we couldn't agree on which tools we really needed.
- The admin station was supposed to be Read Only. No updates to tnsnames.ora, documentations,
   internal scripts, tools and client versions without the formal change management process.
- The new system was released, but direct server access was not removed.

Nobody used it, and some time later it disappeared.

Currently they are talking about VDI based workplaces for everybody. I expect these to have the
same problems, in addition to availability and performance issues.

Regards
Ingrid

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. April 2019 um 14:06 Uhr
Von: "Scott Canaan" <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
An: "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
Betreff: Question To Test My Sanity

This is not so much of a technical question, but more of a procedural question.

Here’s the back story.  Yesterday, we were told by the Windows Sys Admins that they’ve decided that we (DBAs) are no longer allowed to access databases running on Windows servers directly from our PCs.  We now have to remote into another server, called dbatools, and only from there can we directly access databases.  They’ve loaded our tools (TOAD, PL/SQL Developer, SQL Server Management Studio, etc.) on that server and are in the process of removing our IP addresses from the firewalls on the Windows servers, forcing us to use this one server for all of our access.

When I asked why, the only answer I got was “security”.  What I read into that is “We don’t trust you”.  This is being done without any input from us or any discussion, it’s just happening.

The question:  Has anyone else run into this kind of setup?  Is this a common configuration?

Thank you,

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration

Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520

srcdco_at_rit.edu | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Apr 11 2019 - 14:42:25 CEST

Original text of this message