Re: XFS vs Ext4 redux -- preferences/warnings/etc

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:56:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Rich,
one clear recommendation: Go with XFS.

XFS has several performance advantages and scales much better. I have done a lot of performance benchmarks and the result was almost every time the same in different client environments. However you can benchmark it on your own with SLOB very easily.

P.S.: Here is a PDF (https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~sbrandt/290S/xfs.pdf) which explains one of the performance advantages (e.g. on page 10 - Using Multiple Processes) as you should use directIO anyway.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de