RE: Databases on AWS EC2

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 19:10:32 +0000

We have a number of instances on EC2. They’re all using Data Guard for replication and a few with 2 and 3 standby’s. we haven’t seen any issues so far.

Thanks,

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Harel Safra Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:57 PM To: Sundar Mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Databases on AWS EC2

CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL Oracle lists Amazon EC2 & Microsoft Azure as Authorized Cloud Environments for licencing purposes: https://www.oracle.com/assets/cloud-licensing-070579.pdf I would assume that this means these platforms are supported?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM Sundar Mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com<mailto:sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi All,
Good day. We are evaluating the options on setting up a DR database on AWS. We are looking at 2 choices 1) Restore of vm backup from Rubrik followed by rman database backup restore (The last time i restored a db vm, database was in consistent state and open which was surprising to me. That's a different story.) 2) Set up a physical standby DR database. I was researching on this and read about the guest machine dynamically moved on EC2 causing new CPU IDs registered in the license tracking tables which can cause major trouble with regard to licensing. So do we pin it to a specific host machine on EC2? Any information on this is much appreciated. Any gotchas with regard to second option on DR site? I understand oracle is not supported outside of their own cloud solution, nevertheless people do host it on EC2. Thanks for your time and assistance.