Re: Question regarding Oracle listener port change

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:29:16 -0400

Bill,

Ah.
Perhaps if a consultant issued the edict?

How about an oldie but goodie?
(Blows dust off a copy fetched from the office bookshelf)

SANS Step-by-Step series
Oracle Security step by step v 2.0
Pete Finnegan
SANS Press 2004
Phase 5 - Networking.
Action 5.1.6
"Avoid running the listener on the normal (tcp) ports of 1521 or 1526."

CIS has a controls doc for Oracle databases including versions 11gR2 and 12c. Apparently changing the port number from default is not mentioned. They're more on board with making certain that admin commands occur over IPC and not remote tcp in the clear.

Perhaps NIST does as well. Nope. They refer to the CIS document.

Something to chew upon.

Paul