RE: System stats

From: <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 10:40:05 -0500

A small diversion but relevant to the discussion.

The problem I have seen over and over (20+ years) is that even if someone makes a change they often don't have the data (in an accessible/tangible form) to validate the effect of the change unless it is quite obvious (and then still there are problems possible here).

I always kept performance history in a format that allows me to see SQL, avg elap time, # executes, and total time by hour, day, month, going back at least 1-2 years (and it doesn't use much space).

This can all be displayed in a text table. Sorted by greatest consumer. It's very simple. You can also do this with just about anything you want. I used to do this with PeopleSoft batch job executions and a bunch of other stuff.

You can also do things like %change month over month which is very helpful in spotting changes without the need for 3rd party charting/tooling.

The nice thing about this is when you make a change, let it run a day, week, month, you will usually see fairly quickly what the impact is on individual SQL's and then over-all. It is measurable.

And even managers understand it when you show it to them.

I am sure to some degree this information is accessible from other sources but not sure it is quite as accessible or readily available as this particular design.

And I know more than average on this particular list don't make these mistakes but this list sort of self selects for above avg DBA's because avg don't join lists like Oracle-L for the most part.

I interviewed countless DBA's over the years and as far as I recall none had an answer for above.

So something to think about. I would like to work on getting above out to the world but can't do it at the moment. When I do release it will be part of ArcShell (free/apache2 license).

Thanks,

Ethan Post

https://github.com/arclogicsoftware/arcshell