RE: Exadata and anti-virus

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:38:24 +0000

The excuse we got from Infosec was similar to this, but it didn’t make sense for most systems since hardly any of them were even remotely close to the internet. Systems that have lots of users were on UNIX and excluded from the AV software.

Jeremy
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 8:20 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Exadata and anti-virus

CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL On 3/25/19 2:43 PM, Sheehan, Jeremy wrote: We had a push from Infosec to start installing AV on our Linux servers. They did and then we starting having all sorts of problems (crazy memory leaks) and the server would crash. Keep in mind these are just standalone db servers, not EXA. After asking the Linux admins to look, they said it was the AV software and promptly uninstalled from the affected machine with not even a slap on the wrist from Infosec. It was almost like it was an optional installation and wasn’t even necessary.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Well, when talking about the malware, one has to think of the use of the systems. Systems that are promiscuous (used by many users), which are in direct contact with the internet or end-user systems probably do need to be protected. However, if your database server is connected to internet, you have bigger problems than malware. That is what firewalls are for. I have played with ClamAV for Linux and found that it has quite a profound impact and it's a nuisance. I wanted to install the new version of Eclipse, which I use for testing SAP Hana, and it has flagged quite a number of jar files as "infected". It was a fresh download directly from eclipse.org. I removed the ClamAV tool and all was well again.

--

Mladen Gogala

Database Consultant

Tel: (347) 321-1217