Re: Server is swapping with free memory available

From: Upendra nerilla <nupendra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:55:36 +0000

That makes sense.. Thanks for the information.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:54 PM
To: Upendra nerilla; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Server is swapping with free memory available

It will help you eliminate IO buffering in the kernel space and move it to user space. Without using direct IO, you have double buffering: your database blocks are cached in SGA and in the OS buffer cache.

On 3/19/19 10:44 PM, Upendra nerilla wrote: A few more details:

  • Current settings: filesystemio_options=asynch. -- We haven't tried "ALL", trying to understand how it will help with the swap issue?

-Upendra

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org><mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com><mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:52 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Server is swapping with free memory available

Have you tried with FILESYSYSTEMIO_OPTIONS=ALL?

On 3/19/19 4:54 PM, Upendra nerilla wrote:

Hello everyone -
We have a database server which is choosing to swap though there is plenty of free memory. Any pointers on what to check are much appreciated..

--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--