RE: SQL Developer line numbers

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 13:45:25 +0000

I look at DBA_SOURCE on the package body. The line numbers reported in errors (in my experience) reference the line in DBA_SOURCE.

Thanks,

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 9:18 AM
To: Paul.Houghton_at_uis.cam.ac.uk
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: SQL Developer line numbers

CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL I'd *always* regardless of tool have a separate file for the spec and the body. They are logically separate things. Is there a reason not to do this?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019, 11:52 Paul Houghton <Paul.Houghton_at_uis.cam.ac.uk<mailto:Paul.Houghton_at_uis.cam.ac.uk>> wrote: I don’t get to do much development, but I am writing a fairly simple package and thought I would try using SQL Developer. When I get errors having run it, the line number reported is the line in the package body, as you would expect. However I have the package definition, some synonyms, etc. above the package body in the file, so I have to mentally add 152 to the line number to get the line number in the file.

Also, if there is a compile error, SQL Developer takes me to the line number in the file rather than the line number in the package body when I click on it.

Is there a configuration option to change this behaviour to something more useful? Or some functionality I could use to easily take me to the line number (e.g. in vim I would go to the line above the create package body, then type in “234j”, where 234 is the line number reported, to get to the problem.)

I realise a possible solution would be to create one file per object. What do you do?

Thanks

PaulH