Re: How does Oracle determine how much to extend autoextend datafiles?

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:32:48 -0400

I've been burned by SMCO (currently disabled for us) in the past because we were periodically (and annoyingly during busy periods in an OLTP env) getting high contention, where the blockers were the SMCO worker slaves. If you have DIAG pack and are armed with Tanel's d/ashtop it's pretty easy to check for their presence.

SQL> _at_dashtop
instance_number,program,sql_id,event,blocking_session,blocking_inst_id "program like '%(W%'" "to_date('2018-01-30 07:30','YYYY-MM-DD hh24:mi')" "to_date('2018-01-30 08:30','YYYY-MM-DD hh24:mi')"

   TotalSeconds             AAS %This  INSTANCE_NUMBER PROGRAM
                                            SQL_ID        EVENT
                             BLOCKING_SESSION BLOCKING_INST_ID FIRST_SEEN
        LAST_SEEN
--------------- --------------- ------ ---------------
------------- ---------------------------------------------
---------------- ---------------- ------------------- -------------------
           1370              .4   25%                1 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f30
(W01N)                                                    row cache lock
                                                              2018-01-30
07:59:15 2018-01-30 08:22:04
           1370              .4   25%                3 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f32
(W00M)                                                    row cache lock
                                                              2018-01-30
07:59:15 2018-01-30 08:22:03
           1320              .4   24%                2 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f31
(W00K)                                                    row cache lock
                                                              2018-01-30
08:00:03 2018-01-30 08:22:01
           1320              .4   24%                2 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f31
(W03Y)                                                    row cache lock
                                                              2018-01-30
08:00:03 2018-01-30 08:22:01
             10               0    0%                1 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f30
(W03E)                                                    row cache lock
                                                              2018-01-30
08:03:47 2018-01-30 08:03:47
             10               0    0%                1 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f30
(W03G)                                                    gc buffer busy
acquire                                    2361                1 2018-01-30
08:22:14 2018-01-30 08:22:14
             10               0    0%                3 oracle_at_eagnmnmep1f32
(W00M)                                      1p36ta7p3d7fu
                                                               2018-01-30
07:52:33 2018-01-30 07:52:33

7 rows selected.

Andy K