Duplicate for standby fails with ORA-01580, ORA-27040

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:21:43 -0600

Scenario: Trying to create a second standby database on a new server before shutting down old standby - both are physical standbys Oracle EE 11.2.0.4, RHEL6

For reasons I won't go into, I have to sit with and direct another DBA to make sure she follows the step-by-step procedures we laid out to create a physical standby database. I haven't created a standby in several years, so I find myself asking a lot of why questions (which has been encouraged by my team lead and manager) for several of the steps. More often than not, the response is, "because you have to" with no other explanation. Her original instructions were not ordered correctly and missing several steps. She said it was ok because she knew what to do and when to do it. Actually, that's NOT ok because she wasn't going to be creating the remaining 6 standby databases, which I told her did not help the rest of the team. (ok, through whining).

We configured the primary to accommodate the second physical standby, configured the new standby, made sure all the proper directories were in place, and kicked off a duplicate for standby from the active database since the backup disk is extremely slow storage and we are coming up on a deadline. The duplicate failed very quickly with the ORA-01580 error creating control backup file xxxx and ORA-27040 file create error, unable to create file. I'm leaning towards the idea this might be an issue with the mount options on the new standby server since we verified the path was correct. The other DBA is positive that having the backup running on the primary was the cause of the error, along with not creating a controlfile for the standby before we started.

From my research on MOS, it doesn't appear we do not need to create a controlfile. However, it seems one step that was left out of the instructions we're using was creating an spfile for the standby on ASM from the primary's spfile. Do we need to add this step? We do have a pfile with the correct parameters on the standby server $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. Since the directory path on ASM is different for the standby, will the primary spfile cause us any issues?

I haven't had a lot of time to do any research on creating a standby on 11g after I was thrown into the project due to other commitments. I'm continuing my research today, but any suggestions, pointers to documents (already found Doc IDs: 1075908.1 & 1617946.1), what our 1580 error is really indicating, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sandy B.