RE: Limit public table access

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:00:27 -0400

This idea Hemant posted is a very useful notion, and in the case of multiple user facing “application schema” you can add an application name column to the view in case they want to only see one “application schema” at a time. This “user facing table dictionary” can also have an owner column visible in the case where you granted access but did not make a public synonym. This is useful when multiple “application schema” share table names.

Also read in on Bryn’s piece regarding code only schema and so forth. If you implement that (and everyone should, but there are 42 million reasons why folks unwisely punt that into the future file) then there is a wrapper between your users and direct access, but you still may want to organize reports by “application” of what they are allowed to use to minimize screen spam.

Moderate sized “menus” like this tend to make users happy and especially in command line environments for ad hoc queries the performance can be very snappy.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hemant K Chitale Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:59 AM
To: backseatdba_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Limit public table access

Typically build a custom view to list only target tables and present that to this tool ?

Is it hard-coded to query only ALL_TABLES ?

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 01:58 Jeff Chirco, <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Ok so we have a reporting tool for users that uses their Oracle account. When the first connect to it and get a table list they see all tables they have access to through PUBLIC. This obvisouly confuses them and I would like to remove this. I've tested removing objects from public but that didn't go well when it came time to patch the database. A bunch of things failed. Oracle must want things granted to public for a reason. But is there another way around to prevent some users from seeing public?

Thanks,

Jeff