RE: Oracle Support Getting Worse?

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:20:02 +0000

I would like to add my two cents. If you are not satisfied with the way duty manager is handling the issue, you can always call back and request for a level-2 escalation, which is a director level escalation. This is the process we were told by our Oracle account manager and we have been using it for years.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Stefan Knecht Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:08 PM
To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Oracle Support Getting Worse?

When you're saying you called and escalated - did you ask to speak to a manager?

In my experience, these "soft escalation requests" - not sure what else to call it - aren't taken seriously. Only when you escalate it formally via the manager on duty, will it actually be escalated (you will see this reflected in the ticket status).

Thus, rule #1, if you want something to happen, get a manager to call you back. Be sure to state the urgency and financial impact this has on you when requesting the manager. Mentioning financial impact usually gets things rolling quickly. But be prepared with this information before you pick up the phone.

There are further steps to escalate and put additional priority on your case, but the duty manager are where I've had the most productive talks. Without exception, I've gotten the response I needed and things started moving. As long as the case stayed with support (and development wasn't involved, which is where the support duty manager has little say) this would suffice.

If for some reason this doesn't help (or things are with development to investigate), get your account manager involved who can help further with prioritizing.

If that still doesn't help (I've had this happen very rarely) you can get the global escalation manager for your area involved (your account manager will know who this is).

Of course what Tim has mentioned also has a big impact. Particularly (and I've seen this first hand) when people file sev 1 SRs for every odd line they find in their alert log. If you're on the receiving end of these tickets, it's probably not easy to wade through the garbage to find the serious cases. But again, this is something you can discuss with your duty manager. In most cases, it won't benefit you if people work around the clock (and are constantly changing). You won't be around at 2AM local time either, to respond to any questions an engineer working on the other side of the globe may have. I have had cases where both sides worked literally around the clock on a sev 1. It lasted several days and we had the managers organize handovers between shifts and report back to us. It worked flawlessly.

And lastly, I suppose it also depends on how much weight your organization has with Oracle. In other words, how much you're paying them. This is surely not officially documented anywhere, but I'm fairly certain out of past experiences that customers who pay them a couple hundred grand a year aren't treated the same as a customer that pays them millions in support costs alone each year.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 12:05 AM Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>> wrote: I believe Oracle support is going seriously down hill. We opened a case (ODA patching) yesterday around 1130. Sev 1, production node down.

After 3.5 hours, no response, we called and escalated. They transferred it to someone else, and he asked for more information.

Their first suggestion of something to try was this AM at 403. About 15 hours after we opened the SR.

I am thinking asking for a refund of our oracle support payments would be appropriate.
--

Andrew W. Kerber

//
zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework! Visit us at zztat.net<http://zztat.net/> | _at_zztat_oracle | fb.me/zztat<http://fb.me/zztat> | zztat.net/blog/<http://zztat.net/blog/>
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Mar 11 2019 - 13:20:02 CET

Original text of this message