SQLAlchemy and database dependence

From: Chris Stephens <cstephens16_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 11:18:00 -0500

Does anyone on the list have experience with SQLAlchemy?

There is a large python based application with critical performance requirements being developed with SQLAlchemy that needs to run on at least 3 RDBMS products including Oracle (will be 19c RAC on CentOS 7 when released).

The developers have already realized there will need to be significant customizations specific to each RDBMS.

My question is: Is there a recommended approach for accounting for RDBMS differences? Currently we are trying to decide between writing separate classes for each dialect when necessary or using something like "IF sql dialect = oracle THEN" w/in classes. Are there other options?

Thanks!
chris