Re: Using OPTIMIZER_CAPTURE_SQL_PLAN_BASELINES=TRUE in Production

From: Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 00:42:42 +0100

Hi

Bring this old topic from 2012.

Does anyone actually set OPTIMIZER_CAPTURE_SQL_PLAN_BASELINES to TRUE in production? I have a customer considering it in 12.1.0.2 Exadata but I am not sure if this is good idea because if it is wouldn't this feature on by default?

My personal experience is use this feature for critical, regressed queries only. I also had a couple of customers who set this parameter to TRUE a few years ago and they had production outage due to parsing problems (latch/mutex contention) and the problem didn't go away until they emptied SPM repository, those were 11.2.0.3 databases.

Anything changed?

Thanks