Re: Curiosity question - Bandwidth using RMAN duplicate from Serivce

From: Oleksandr Denysenko <odenysenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 09:46:48 +0200

Hi.

чт, 28 февр. 2019 г. в 04:17, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>:

> Hi Chris!
>
> One channel on a physical Linux box typically does around 350 GB/hr when
> compression is used. It's around 7.5 MB/sec. Incidentally, that is also a
> 1Gb NIC bandwidth.

it looks like I have missed something... 350GB/hr=350*1024=358 400MB/hr=358 400MB/(3600sec)=99.55MB/sec, not 7.5MB/sec which is too low...

99.55MB/sec definitely is about the limit of 1Gb/s Ethernet. if compression is used to save network bandwidth than core performance may be the bottleneck for the channel, so more channels required. I suggest to do several test and find real bottleneck: - if network bandwidth is not limited then don't use compression - if compression is used, than you may be limited with cpu at the original system
- if nor network bandwidth nor original system cpu are limited, then look for original or target storage system bandwidth limitations

Best Regards,

  Oleksandr Denysenko