RE: Managing large ASM trace files

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:47:15 -0500

Fortunately I don’t care much about the 5 year horizon. I helped usher in the death of time-sharing so it seems apt that the resurrection of time-sharing will usher me into retirement!

I wish you good luck being highly available to manufacturing “build to order” plants via a WAN.

And it will be interesting to see whether the income profile to Oracle from its biggest customers can be dislodged from on premises security without opening them to competitive bidding from all cloud vendors. That would be almost as risky as making PL/SQL stored packages available on competing databases.

But please do keep me up to date on Oracle’s strategic business plan.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Luis Santos Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:30 AM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Managing large ASM trace files

Sadly, of 63 enhancement requests voted into the first Oracle VLDB list circa 1992, one of the highest ranking losers was to automatically grandfather all trace files down one directory into a date named subdirectory dYYYYMMDD (the leading d being optional on OSes that support all numeric “folder” or directory names.

Mark, unfortunattely ease of use and friendship are software features that have neven been a priority to the Oracle Company.

And in less than five years, I guess, there will be no more on-premisse Oracle software. Oracle has no more interest in this model. It's dead.

--

Luis Santos

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Feb 26 2019 - 16:47:15 CET