Re: DB memory parameter question

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 08:23:17 +0100 (CET)

Hello Jeff,
here is my humble opinion about this.

AMM (memory_target): Never ever use it except for some playground databases for yourself. You already mentioned the limitations with huge pages and in addition the SHM granules are deflated/inflated.

ASMM (sga_target): It caused many problems when it was implemented first but nowadays it is pretty common and stable. However be aware that you still can run into issues with it (e.g. current example: https://twitter.com/jolliffe/status/1094195271448186881). You can use huge pages and it is static.

PGA (pga_aggregate_target): Usage is common standard nowadays however you may need to tweak the underscore parameters a little bit if you need huge memory allocations for a work area (e.g. http://www.soocs.de/public/research/150731_auto_pga_max_workarea.txt).

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK