Re: Duplicate from active database failing with ORA-19625 , ORA-27037 for archivelogs

From: Adric Norris <landstander668_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 09:16:49 -0600

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:40 PM Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have another DBA telling me that running the duplicate through a shell
> script is "old school" and not necessary. The initial duplicate to get the
> datafiles copied took over 24 hours. I did the script to ensure that if
> something happened to my session, the duplicate would continue running in
> the background. Was this really not necessary? Would starting RMAN and
> issuing the duplicate command have been sufficient?

While it doesn't help with the primary issue, I'd recommend running such tasks from a screen <https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/> -- or tmux <https://github.com/tmux/tmux>, if you prefer -- session. This is almost always the first thing I launch when remotely logging onto a server, as they not only insulate terminal session from being killed if the network connection is lost, but also also allows you to transparently disconnect the session and reconnect later.

Both are included in pretty much every Linux distribution, although they may not be installed by default.

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams