Re: optimizing SQL's w/ multiple (and variable) range based predicates against very wide table

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 16:50:56 -0500

Oh, I have no preference against bitmaps, but for the range searches I tend to use B*Tree indexes. After all, that is what they were made for. Bitmap indexes are extremely useful for equality predicates with low selectivity and  some equijoins, where the tables are not frequently modified. The OP's example seems to satisfy the low DML requirement, but I am not sure that range scan of bitmap indexes would be a good thing on a huge table. Chris will just have to test.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant