AW: Characterset change

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbi-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 07:56:07 +0100

Hi,

we did this conversion to AL32UTF8 with Oracles DMU Tool (Database Migration Assistant for Unicode) in Sept 2017. Had to migrate several hundred databases, after some testing it went really good.

Basically, the internal database structures are modified, and table data is converted if required. After migrating, the database looks like a "real" AL32UTF8 database. Meanwhile it can also work with GG, but we did not try this.

First, the database is analysed, so that conversion of character-data can take place. This step can be done online.

Second, the database is converted; the time needed depends on the amount of data which must be converted. Conversion is done can be done by partitions and tables, so parallel processing can be used.

One of the starting points is
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/globalizat ion/dmu/overview/index.html

Regards
willyk