Re: CBO: Extensions and/or Multi Column Indexes

From: Chinar Aliyev <chinaraliyev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 14:37:20 +0400

Hi Martin, happy new year to you too :-)

"My question is, does it make sense to manually create extended statstics for two columns, that are already part of a two-column index?"

It matters to create extended statistics if there is a big estimation error even you have multicolumn index. In the case of absence of extended statistics the optimizer tries to use DISTINCT_KEYS of the multi column index in order to estimate cardinality. So, if your data (column) is highly skewed in this case the multicolumn index may not help optimizer well enough to calculate cardinality properly, Therefore , you can create extended statistics to solve the problem. But you can keep multi column index in order to retrieve data efficiently.

Thanks

--
*Chinar Aliyev*

Visit My         :Blog <http://chinaraliyev.wordpress.com/>