RE: Consolidated Database Size in OEM

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 03:39:07 -0500

Sure. You update a particular day set of the repository from the easiest and more precise source, which you provided for this particular case.

I was just answering your question, and I’m glad you agree that a repository is useful.

Happy Holidays.

mwf

From: Mladen Gogala [mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:56 PM
To: Mark W. Farnham; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Consolidated Database Size in OEM

Hi Mark!

I know what repository is for, but in this particular case, it's much easier and precise to retrieve the database size from the database itself than from the repository. Repository is very useful, but not for this purpose.

Regards

On 12/16/18 8:27 AM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:

“What do you need a repository for?”

A few decades ago I was pushing the notion that we should have “A datawarehouse FOR the DBA” to keep track of this and a lot of other things. I still think that is true and that beating up the production database to get that information more than a few times a day is a silly idea (including for ASH analysis, etc.). Why would you want to spend production class storage and cpu license time with the dba competing for cycles with users from analysts up through the CFO? But I’m officially an antique.

--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--