RMAN Duplicate - Commvault... Second pair of eyes

From: Ruan Linehan <ruandav_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 21:28:23 +0000

Hi all,

*11g Ent Edition 11.2.0.4 running on a two node RAC cluster on ASM. *

I need to clone a clients production RAC database to a point in time from yesterday in order to retrieve some data as it appeared before manipulation.
The duplicate DB also needs to exist on the same cluster for another reason.

We have a level 0 backup set which only exists on tape from the 1st Dec with required ARC logs still accessible in flash recovery on disk. The one caveat is that we are leveraging a Simpana/Commvault MML client for the duplicate and I have not interacted with Commvault in a while.

I have configured the initial setup for performing the duplicate with the usual suspects, single auxiliary instance, SQL Net, password files etc. All of which I believe are configured correctly. The auxiliary instance is initially configured with OMF/ASM "create" params rather than file name converts
in order to handle the file placement. E.g.
*.control_files='+DATA','+FRA'
*.db_create_file_dest='+DATA'
*.db_create_online_log_dest_1='+FRA'
*.db_recovery_file_dest='+FRA'

etc.

This is one of the many variations of what I have executed... $ rman target sys/password_at_PROD auxiliary sys/password_at_PROD_DUP RMAN> run
{
 allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt_tape'
PARAMS="SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/commvault/Base/libobk.so,BLKSIZE=1048576,ENV=(CvClientName=prodhost,CvInstanceName=Instance001,CvOraSID=PROD1)";  allocate auxiliary channel dev1 type 'sbt_tape' PARAMS="SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/commvault/Base/libobk.so,BLKSIZE=1048576";

 duplicate target database to PROD_DUP
 until time "to_date('16:00 03-12-2018','hh24:mi dd-mm-yyyy')"; }

The RMAN duplicate kicks off, allocates channels successfully, alters the auxiliary db name, sets the control file path location within ASM, db unique name etc as normal.
Shuts down and starts up the auxiliary instance and then commences the restoration from the backup set.

It is at this point that the restore operation completely fails, and seems to be fetching back from tape but is unable to write back the set via the aux channel
or create / stage the file in ASM?

Starting restore at 04-DEC-18

Channel dev1: starting datafile backup set restore
Channel dev1: restoring control file
Channel dev1: reading from backup piece c-4575686922-20181202-01
Channel dev1: ORA-19870 error while restoring backup piece
c-4575686922-20181202-01
ORA-19504: failed to create file "+DATA"
ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 failed to create file +DATA
ORA-15001: diskgroup "DATA" does not exist or is not mounted
ORA-15055: unable to connect to ASM instance
ORA-12536: TNS:operation would block

  1. Apologies in advance but am I doing something 'stoopid' here, which is not apparent to me?? Or
  2. Is there some configuration or env param within the Commvault config which is necessary to facilitate the proper interaction?

I have tried multiple variations of incorporating file_name_converts or even 'set newname' for the restore files but everything is appearing to throw back the very same error above?

Regards,
Ruan