Re: Dan Tow "SQL Tuning" and Visual SQL Tuning

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 06:33:51 -0800

Yes, the majority big of optimization wins comes down business logic and schema. Often it's not possible to do that. and yes, Dan's method is a lot of work IMO thus why I love having software doing most of the tedious grunt work. Yeah, when I read Dan's book I thought it was cool, but so time consuming, that I would rarely do it, but having some software to do a lot of the tedious work makes it much more fun. Now that I bought my own copy, I plan to start looking into Visual SQL Tuning again and try and blog on it.
It really stuck home when I was at Embarcadero and a customer sent in 3 problem queries that Oracle mis-optimized. Using Dan's method it was easy to see what the solutions were. One of the hardest for Oracle optimizer was a query that had only 4 tables but the most efficient path was to join the first two tables then join the second two tables and then join the result set. Oracle only joins in one table at a time so this isn't a method it would find, but using subqueries and hints one could force the optimzer to follow that path.