Re: cpu_count per instance in a hard partition

From: Jose Rodriguez <jrodriguez2_at_pythian.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 19:38:01 +0100

AFAIK, Oracle instances are not aware of other instances running in the same host and, even though, why would it matter to them? They see the CPUs as any other software running on the same server, be it Oracle DBA, WebLogic or the OE itself, they are competing to get the resources, not only CPU but also memory and IO. So, you have five instances running and it is up to you to figure out if they will be struggling to get CPU cycles or they will just come along fine, each instance will assume that it has as many CPUs available as it seems and act accordingly.
Bear in mind that Oracle does not charge you for the number of instances running or the number of different versions, just the cores the server have so, if the instances won't fight too much for CPU, then you are actually saving money. On the other side, if they start struggling you may have to consider adding some additional CPU and licenses.

I hope this helps.