Re: Oracle multi Tb refresh for UAT from Prod

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 02:35:27 -0500

Hi Chris!

You are aware that by using snapshot, you will burden your production disks? Snapshot is an array of pointers. The algorithm for snapshot is optimized CoW ("Copy on Write", not the main ingredient in a burger). When the source database changes, the blocks are copied to a spare location, so that SAN can keep the snapshot consistent. If the data doesn't change, you are reading your original data through a pointer. Most of the good SAN equipment also has "clone" possibility (SnapVault, SRDF, HUR). In particular, Pure also has the ability to create a full volume from snapshot.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant